Vangelis Politis practices in the areas of Commercial and Corporate Law, M&A, Energy, Banking & Finance and Litigation. He is an Athens Law School graduate and holds an LL.M from Duke University (USA). After practicing several years with another major Athens law firm, he co-founded Politis & Partners in 2000.
Vangelis draws on his three decades of experience as a corporate lawyer in advising domestic and international clients. His work includes M&A, joint ventures and infrastructure projects. He has represented buyers, sellers and financial institutions in most industry sectors, including energy, health care related companies, industrial and financial services, e-commerce and communications related businesses.
Vangelis is invited as a speaker at company and securities law conferences. He is the author of the book “Public Disclosure: An obligation of companies with listed shares”, a book published by Sakkoulas Publications (2002). He is also a contributing author on “Sociétés Αnonymes”, published by Sakkoulas Publications (2013), as well as of many articles in the fields of corporate and securities law published in Greek and foreign law reviews.
Banking & Finance
As head of the Firm’s Banking & Finance practice, Vangelis has represented buyers, sellers and financial institutions in various investment projects and all types of acquisitions and dispositions, including energy development projects, health care related companies, e-commerce and communications related businesses, IT services and products companies, and many types of companies on industrial and financial services.
Recent Notable Cases
- Advising a Greek Bank, as Lender’s Legal Advisors, in a project financing for a 40MW wind park (2023).
- Advising a Greek Bank, as Lender’s Legal Advisors, in the financing of a PPP project (concession and operation of a tourist marina) (2023).
- Advised a Cyprus Bank, as Lender’s Legal Advisors, in connection with the financing provided to a Greek company for the renovation of a historical Athens Hotel (2022).
- Advised a Cyprus Bank, as Lender’s Legal Advisors, in connection with a EUR 51M financing of a major Greek healthcare services Group in the acquisition of a hospital in Cyprus (2022).
- Advised a Greek Bank, as Lenders’ Legal Advisors, in connection with a EUR 43.6M project financing of the construction of four (4) hotels (4 stars) in Athens (2022).
- Advised a Greek Leasing company on a financing to a global telecommunications operator relating to purchase and installation of a terrestrial fibre-optic FTTH cable covering several cities in Greece (2021) as well as on the purchase and installation of a fibre-optic submarine cable interconnecting the Greek mainland telecommunications network to several islands of the Aegean and Ionian Sea (2020).
Commercial & Corporate
Vangelis leads the practice, advising clients from a very wide variety of industries including pharmaceutical, financial sector, construction materials, energy, consumer goods and chemicals. He has acted as counsel on some of the largest privatization projects in Greece and has represented Greek and international clients on numerous M&A and complex commercial transactions.
Recent Notable Cases
- Advised SpaceX in entering the Greek market as provider of broadband satellite internet services (2022).
- Advised Sun Chemical on a commercial transaction with a leading digital printing company (2022).
- Acting for a London based investment firm on the sale of a 260MW portfolio of wind energy projects in Greece (2022).
- Advised a major Greek RES developer on the sale of a portfolio of 200 MW PV projects to a Danish investment fund (2022).
- Advised a Greek listed company on the implementation of a stock option plan (2022).
- Advised a multinational pharmaceutical on the Greek aspects of a global corporate restructuring (2021).
- Advised a German manufacturer of industrial automation systems on a public procurement contract (2022).
- Advised Netdata on several rounds of venture capital financings (2019 – 2021).
- Advised a multinational medical devices company in relation to a debt restructuring agreement for the biggest private sector health provider in Greece in a EUR 500m restructuring transaction (2021).
- Advised a US company, listed on Nasdaq, on the acquisition and disposal of several PV parks in Greece (2019-2021).
Vangelis is a highly regarded litigator in a wide spectrum of corporate and commercial law matters and arbitration. His litigation and arbitration experience covers a wide range of areas, including complex commercial lawsuits, shareholder disputes, banking, securities, corporate and insurance litigation, as well as employment disputes. He regularly represents multinational companies, banks, equity funds, and other corporate clients in multimillion lawsuits, including cases pending before the Supreme Court (Arios Pagos).
Recent Notable Cases
- Representing the European Commission in numerous litigation cases against Greek private companies and public law legal entities, being beneficiaries of Framework Programme subsidy programs.
- Representing in cooperation with a Malta law firm a US company listed on NASDAQ in a EUR 54m international arbitration involving a renewable energy project (2023).
- Successfully represented a multinational pharmaceutical in a litigation currently pending before the Greek Supreme Court in relation to a distribution agreement (2022).
- Successfully represented a German medical devices company in a litigation before the Athens Court of Appeals on a commercial dispute (2021).
- Successfully represented a major Scottish cleantech company producing energy recovery equipment harnessing steam & generating power for industrial use in a lawsuit filed against them by a major Greek manufacturing company on two grounds, torts and breach of Consumer Protection Law (2020).
- Successfully represented a multinational pharmaceutical company on arbitration and litigation proceedings with former distributors and suppliers (2020-2022).
- Successfully represented a major Chinese Group developing and operating photovoltaic parks in Greece in connection with a dispute involving the sale of several PV projects in Greece (2018-2019).
- Successfully represented a Greek Bank in a series of litigation cases brought against it by investors and clients of an insurance group (2018-2020).
- Athens Bar Association
- Association of Greek Commercial Law Lawyers
- M, Duke University (USA)
- LLB, School of Law, University of Athens